Meditation, if done on a regular basis, can do wonders for you. Here are some basic benefits which you will draw by regular meditation .
(1) Meditation makes us aware of the fact that we are intelligent.
Something more on it:-
Here are some famous quotes of Albert Einstein. Here he has talked about those special people who use their intelligence instead of submitting to prejudices of their social environments.
“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”
“Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.”
“Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.”
Now just think for a moment:
When does a man see with his own eye and feel with his own hearts.
And when does a man do not submit himself to the hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence?
Its only when he recognize that his true identity is free from any kind of prejudice or bias. When he realize the presence of the same consciousness of self in everybody. It’s only after realization of self, that we find the presence of one divinity in everybody.
Meditation will brings the above mentioned qualities in you. All kind of prejudices, vanity, hatred, jealousy and pre-conceived notions have their origins in mind. But when in meditation, we transcend the mind and contact this higher entity ‘self’ we realize the calm and serenity of a focused and peaceful mind. When you meditate, you recognize that being ‘more knowledgeable’ and being ‘intelligent’ are two different thing. Once the feeling of an all pervading self comes in you, You will start seeing with your own eyes and feel with your own hearts instead of allowing others to make opinions and decision for you..
(2) The foundation of self awareness that meditation provides is useful in many areas. It shows us how to focus on the present moment and stop worrying about future or past. It teaches us how to be in control of mind and emotions instead of the other way around.
(3) It develops insight into the unconscious causal connections between thoughts, attitudes, perceptions, feelings, body states, and behaviors. When you meditate, slowly you start recognizing even the most subtle fluctuations of your emotions and thoughts. This results in a better understanding and control of mind and body.
(4) Your attitude towards life will change. You will learn how to be more appreciative for good deeds of others. You will start enjoying little moments happiness that life provides us everyday.
(5) You will be able to see the larger picture of things instead of small day to day problems.
(6) Meditation helps us accept the things as they are not as we desire them to be. We become content with what we have. The negative feelings of jealousy, hatred, greed, anger, frustration, anxiety and failures start disappearing from our personality.
(7) You will be more understanding towards others.
(8) You will start ignoring petty issues that consumed much of your energy.
9) Shall I get Enlightenment ?: I don’t promise you an enlightenment (‘Moksha’ or the state of Nirvana). Enlightenment or the state of no-desire (Nirvana) is often considered as the ultimate and eventual outcome of Meditation. A really interested & dedicated person who is ready to delve into to deepest nuance of subject may reach the state of ‘no desires’ . But for common people like us it is neither necessary nor desirable to expect such a highest state of being. Theoretically, Moksha or the state when all kind of materialistic desires cease and one attains liberation from bond of death and birth, can be attained by anybody. However, most of us are so much entangled in our day-to-day existential life that the possibility of any of us desiring a ‘desire-less state ‘ is remote. Moreover the very process of wanting anything ( including Moksha) implies that there is a desire in us for this !
Forget about enlightenment. Just meditate. All benefits will follow on their own.
(10) Your inner ability to solve complex problems will increase.
(11) It is a healthy way to handle stress. Meditation lowers hypertension and high blood pressure while slowing heart rate and quickening recovery time.
(12) Meditation increases concentration, self-esteem, spontaneity, creativity, and depth of awareness.
Well there are many more things that I can say on benefits of meditation. However, as the wisdom says that it is always better to ‘know and feel’ than to ‘listen and read’. Meditate and see for yourself whether it is worth a try or not.
Having learnt the benefits of meditation, let us learn why many people can’t meditate despite trying it seriously.